Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My Awakening


You know how you hear all the time that the birth of your child will change your life? I was the guy who always heard the words, but I wasn't really listening (I guess my skepticism is almost as powerful as my cynicism... whatever). People try to tell you how it feels and after Mert told me she was pregnant I thought I understood. I didn't.

It is much more clear to me now that there is the Cory before Pryce and the me today. I lost a layer of that hard shell that believes the world is mostly something to joke about. I witnessed what GOD is capable of and it impacted me deeply. Jackson gave me the first taste of this feeling, but I was not lucky enough to see him being born. That experience is the birth of more than a child, it's an awakening. It's a life moment that will forever be with me. I stood by my wife's side not knowing what to expect and what I got was this overwhelming feeling of peace. Anyone who knows me will tell you that I am a meticulous planner. I like organization and solving problems. I am somewhat obsessed with my work. All of which can make me seem a little stressed. Shut Up! But in that moment nothing else was on my mind. I wasn't worried about making enough money or the politics of work or what we were going to do next. I was just thinking my GOD, this is bar none the greatest thing I have ever done.

Me and Meredith are deeply in love and our relationship is something I never thought I would experience, but seeing what we had created from that love made it monumentally bigger.
For the last few nights I have sat by watching Meredith hold Pryce and seeing Jackson desperately want to help his little sister and my heart has swelled.

Believe me I am not an emotional kind of guy, or at least I wasn't, but this little girl has opened my eyes. Now when she is in my arms I just want to tell her about it. She has no idea how much her Daddy loves her. Add that to the endless list of our family members who are gushing over her and I'm sure she is getting some clue. I won't be able to express it to her or Jackson until they have their own kids, but one day I hope they can read this and try to understand that they are the reason for mine and Mert's everything.

In short Jackson and Pryce, you are My Awakening. Thank you for that.

5 comments:

  1. As you are all my everything !!! Love you all !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are our whole world! I love you more than words will ever be able to express! Thank you for writing this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Meredith you're a lucky girl!

    I deleted my first cause I wrote your instead of you're and I know Chalna will read this!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cory, that made me cry my eyeballs out. Thanks. :-)

    Melissa, that made ROLL with laughter!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete